8 Fantastic Ways To Do Your LA Summer Right
Copenhagen knows how to do summer.
For a city that endures long cold winters with only 4-5 hours of sunlight a day, when summer rolls around – and with it round-the-clock sunshine – Copenhagen locals do it right.
Long bike rides through the city.
Picnic cruises through the canals.
Outdoor dining on the harbor.
Copenhagen summers so hard.
My fellow Americans, it’s time to take a page out of the Copenhagen summer playbook.
Here are 8 ways for you to summer so hard in Los Angeles.
1. Melrose Rooftop Theater: A unique outdoor cinema, the Melrose Rooftop Theatre features cult classic movies and new releases alike with movies starting at sunset. The cinema utilizes wireless technology with individual headsets provided to guests to maximize the cinema experience. Make a night of it by joining for dinner and a movie or can sit back, relax and enjoy our views of the Hollywood hills while sipping a cocktail.
2. Echo Park Swan Boats: Copenhagen was the first place I laid eyes on swan paddle boats – so charming! Good news: you can create your own Copenhagen-inspired swan boat adventures here in LA. Echo Park Lake offers swan boat rentals complete with room for a cooler. Pack a small picnic and drinks and paddle around the lake in style.
3. Silver Lake Painted Staircases: While it’s true nobody walks in LA today, that wasn’t always the case. Back in the old days LA residents used an extensive network of staircases to travel from home to work and back. These staircases are nestled into residential neighborhoods and today are mostly used for fitness and selfies. Thanks to the SoCal Stair Climbers you can easily “hike” your way through the streets of Silver Lake to find 12 Instagram-worthy painted staircases - a 6.5 mile trek!
4. Annenburg Community Beach House: Ready to sunbathe like a movie star without the hefty price tag? The Annenberg Community Beach House combines elements of the historic Marion Davies Estate with new amenities to create a truly unique community destination that's open to all - no membership required. With spectacular views, splash pad, children's play area, gallery, historic pool, and Marion Davies Guest House there's something for everyone to enjoy at the Beach House. Open from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day Weekend.
5. Beach Yoga So Cal: What better way to enjoy an LA sunset than at the beach? Beach Yoga SoCal offers several oceanfront yoga and meditation classes including a 1-hour sunset restorative flow practice for all levels and ages. Relax your mind and breathe in the salty air as the sun goes down. The sand is your mat and the ocean is your soundtrack. A one-of-a-kind, breathtaking experience that leaves you mentally and physically rejuvenated.
6. Surf Lessons: Let Go Surf LA teach you everything you need know to go from catching white wash waves assisted by an instructor to consistently catching open-face waves on your own! Go Surf LA offers 90-minute lessons year round throughout Los Angeles including Santa Monica, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Zuma, and Venice. Small group and family lessons are available.
7. Rooftop Cocktails: Summer nights are tailor made for rooftop cocktails and Los Angeles has no shortage of rooftop bars to check out. Here are a few of our favorites:
Hot Lips at the NoMad (DTLA) featuring jalapeño-infused tequila, mezcal, pineapple, lemon, vanilla
I Ain’t Your Mama at Mama Shelter (Hollywood) featuring Four Roses bourbon, vanilla simple, fresh lemon juice and fresh blueberries.
Jane’s Addiction at Margot (Culver City) featuring dandelion infused vodka, orange preserves, manzanilla sherry and lemon.
Agnelli Martini at Elephante (Santa Monica) featuring gin, Del Professore Bianco, rosemary and lemon oils.
8. Duffy Boat Rentals: Nothing says Copenhagen summer like a boating picnic through the canals. You can create your own picnic on the water in Long Beach, a 30-40 minute drive from Downtown LA. BYO picnic and captain your very own 21-foot duffy boat to explore the canals of Long Beach. Don’t worry if you have no previous boating skills – duffies cruise along at a whopping 5 miles an hour.
Just because you haven’t been to Copenhagen doesn’t mean you can’t summer like a CPH local. Let Lark help you make the most of summer right here in Los Angeles!